Search

Monday, October 10, 2011

ASUS-X 10,1 Inch-Netbook


Price: $229.42
One of the advantages of this product is having a very light weight, light and easy to carry everywhere in.Intel® Atom™ N435 processor that's specially designed for this netbooks and All-new MeeGo Operating System integrates Facebook, Twitter and other popular social media sites onto the homepage for quick access.Easily backs up and shares your data anywhere you have Internet access,Ultra-portable in a stylish .68" slim and 2lbs light.
Strength and reliable browsing speed, especially while reload Yutube and animated game because it has a clock speed of 1.33 ghz and 1 gb memory sufficient to support this activity.Powered by a 0.3M pixel camera to chat face to face. USB device connector in connecting with other devices.Wi-fi2.4GHz,Built-in Stereo speakers.


Mobility Evolved

Staying Social

Staying Social


Cloud Computing

 The Most Versatile Multi-touch Tablet PC 

Mobility Evolved
The Eee PC X101 was designed to be thin and lightweight, for maximum portability. With a super thin .68" profile and weighs a mere 2lbs, the Eee PC X101 can be easily slipped in to bags for superior portability. A brilliant 10.1" WSVGA display makes reading documents and viewing multimedia files more comfortable. Featuring a comfortable chiclet keyboard for typing and large responsive touchpad, the Eee PC X101 makes staying connected and work that much easier.

Staying Social
Today's digital life is all about staying connected. The new MeeGo OS was developed to help users stay connected through a convenient, easy to use interface. With specific applications for Facebook, Twitter, as well as a dedicated instant messaging client, keeping up with friends has never been easier. Google's Chromium browser is also built-in to the MeeGo for web surfing.

Cloud Computing
The X101 is preloaded with not only the MeeGo OS, but also the ASUS App store so you can download applications and stay productive and entertained. Discover apps, games, extensions and themes for the Google Chrome web browser on the Chrome Webstore. Also available is access to ASUS@Vibe, which provides a fun, easy and convenient center filled with rich cloud computing content. As an added bonus, the popular Dropbox online storage is preloaded so you can easily and seamlessly sync files across your desktop, netbook or smart phone.

Specifications

  • Operating System: MeeGo
  • Display: 10.1-inch LED WXGA display (1024 x 600)
  • CPU: Intel Atom N435 processor
  • GPU: Intel UMA
  • WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n (@ 2.4GHz)
  • LAN: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
  • Memory: 1GB DDR3 (1 x SO-DIMM; up to 2G)
  • Storage: 8GB SSD
  • Camera: 0.3 megapixel
  • Speakers: Built-in Stereo speakers
  • Microphone: Digital Array Microphones
  • Card Reader: MicroSD Card Reader
  • Input / Output: 1 x Audio jack-out, 1 x Audio jack-in, 2 x USB 2.0 ports
  • Battery Pack: 3 cell
  • Dimensions: 10.31 x 7.09 x .69 –inches
  • Weight: 2.03 lbs (with 3 cell battery)
  • Color: Black & White


By
jbz (San Diego, CA United States)
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: ASUS X101-EU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook (Black) (Electronics)
I did extensive research on tablets and netbook computers before settling on this little gem. I believe this computer can make two types of customers happy:

1) Those with very specific uses in mind (and are willing to adapt to using a computer with obvious limitations). In my case it's web browsing (mostly reading and searching) and reading PDFs (supplementing my Kindle reader).

2) Those who are not afraid or even happy to do a little Linux hacking.

If you happen to be both then chances are that you will be a fairly happy customer, esp. considering how little you pay to get it.

What are the deal-clinchers for me? It's the lightest of the netbooks at two pounds. The time for booting up or waking up is very short, which significantly enhances the user experience. And you don't have to pay for a watered down version of MS Windows.

Because this computer is Linux based I am fairly confident that I can work around most of the problems that come with a not yet well-polished GUI. Remember that Meego is just the user interface package while the underlying operating system is industrial strength.

Some tips that came from playing with this thing:

0) Liberally use ctrl + to increase font sizes. You will find a much more eye pleasing reading experience at a better font size.

1) PDF viewing: because of the small screen size you definitely want to use the full screen mode. But in full screen mode you don't have access to pull down menus so you would want to remember a few shortcut key combinations, esp for zooming (hint: ctrl-1, 2, 3 till you get what you want). You should also play with the Reader's preference settings for full screen viewing.

2) Definitely learn to use shortcut keys to get around the fact that this is not a touchscreen tablet. alt-tab is a lot easier to use to switch among app windows than the silly Meego toolbar "zones". Chrome shortcut keys are good to know. One caveat: the mapping for alt-arrows has a conflict with Chrome. Alt-left sends you to the virtual terminal first before getting you to the previous page in the browser. This is a well-known conflict for Linux so it seems that the packagers at Meego dropped the ball here. I worked around this by doing "sudo kbd_mode -s" in the terminal to switch the keyboard to raw mode instead of UTF-8.

3) Learn to use the terminal (applications->system tools->). An introductory book or website on Linux definitely helps here. In theory this gives you complete control over your computer. Let's face it GUI (even in MS Windows or Apple MAC OS) could never give you the same control. For example you can use rpm (the package manager) to find out about every single package installed on your computer -- and I am pleasantly surprised that the installed packages are fairly rich. The standard "man" works well too, allowing you to look up command syntax easily.

4) Same as another reviewer my Chrome browser has trouble defaulting the Google search engine setting (mine was set to google dot com dot tw). This is a Chrome issue that affects not just Meego but I do need to fix it. So in the terminal I edited my ~/.config/chromium/Local State file (using vi) after closing all browser windows (do "ps -A |grep chrom" to make sure). The change needed is to edit the last_known_google_url and last_prompted_google_url variables in that file to set the right country code suffix (none for the US). Note the file browser does not appear to show the special files (beginning with '.').

5) Rebooting is fast and painless (in the terminal do "sudo reboot") so in case your computer gets sluggish or otherwise misbehaves don't be afraid to give it a reboot. Reboot is really fast, not your standard Windows experience, and certain changes (such as to the date/clock settings) appear to only take effect after a reboot.

I hope that I've given you a taste of how you can deal with software issues.

The computer does run kind of hot on the bottom side (the User Manual I downloaded before the purchase warned about it but it is still hotter than I expected). It is not so hot that you can't put it on your lap but it is hot enough that you want something between it and your skin to stay comfortable. This is mostly an issue with Intel processors -- they run surprisingly hot even with SSD. I look forward to buying ARM based netbooks one day.

Touchpad does not yet support pinch zoom which is disappointing (NOTE: horizontal scrolling can be turned on through Settings). Hopefully these will be supported with future updates.

Battery life is a bit of wanting (I would say less than the advertised 4 hours with any real serious usage) but it does recharge fast.
By
Orrin R. Onken (Portland, Or)
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: ASUS X101-EU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook (Black) (Electronics)
Netbooks fill two needs for me. First, I need to access the Internet when I am on the move. Most of the information I need to make a living is somewhere in the cloud and for all practical purposes my browser is my business desktop. I do, however, need to write as well as read. I am writing this on the X101 in Google docs. A tablet doesn't work for me; I must have a keyboard.

I also have to write when I am not connected to the Internet--something that happens to me fairly often. That means I also need a word processor.

To keep me connected and writing, or just writing when not connected, I want a throw-away machine that boots up and shuts down quickly. By a throw-away, I mean something I can ruin by leaving it out in the rain without feeling that I have suffered a significant financial loss. The quick boot is so that I don't have to leave the thing in sleep mode all day to avoid the pain of restarting it. I don't need a lot of computing power or storage. I don't use power hungry applications or keep information I care about on netbooks.

After a weekend with the Asus X101 with Meego, I have the following observations.

Internet: Everything is fine here. The Chromium browser works well and the screen is bright. Videos, images, pdfs, and other files display easily. The wi-fi connects painlessly.

Word Processor and Office Applications: The Asus X101 comes with OpenOffice and a very basic text editor. I use OpenOffice in my physical office and like it in that context. OpenOffice, however, is big and acts a bit clunky on the X101. It opens slowly and at times the low powered X101 struggles with it. Something like Jarte--a little more sophisticated than a simple text editor, but less than a full office suite--needs to show up on the Asus application site.

Keyboard: It has a chiclet keyboard which is not as comfortable as a full sized keyboard, but it isn't bad. I have hands that can palm a basketball, yet I was up to full speed typing after an hour or so of getting the feel of it. One thing I like is that the touchpad is easy to turn off so you don't accidentally hit it when typing.

Meego: The Meego operating system boots up in about fifteen seconds. This is better than windows on a low powered machine, but not great. It shuts down almost instantly. I found configuring and then navigating Meego a bit confusing at first, but I eventually got a desktop that works for me. I can now navigate multiple applications without having to think too much about the operating system. That is good.

Meego Applications: There is a Meego App Store that comes with the computer,but the shelves are almost empty. I didn't see anything I wanted, but, other than a middle of the road word processor, there isn't a lot I need that isn't included.

Battery Life and Weight: Batteries are heavy and this thing is not. It is very thin and light. You pay for it in battery life. I have gotten between three and four hours out of a charge, a fairly short time compared to heavier Asus netbooks, but not bad compared to many full size notebooks. It has a reasonably small plug, and no unwieldy power brick.

I have only had the X101 a few days, but I consider it a keeper. It does a few things well and those happen to be things that I need done. I am over searching for the one machine that does everything. The X101 provides cheap lightweight connectivity, a workable keyboard, and some basic stand alone applications. If you need a lot more than that, I would look elsewhere.


By
G. Rik Rowland (Washington, DC)
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: ASUS X101-EU17-BK 10.1-Inch Netbook (Black) (Electronics)
I'm rewriting my review completely.
I was having problems with Meego not holding the time. It kept reverting to Korean. Also Google search would return results in Korean as well. This was not a problem in the beginning.
I thought something had gone haywire so I did a restore from the backup USB I made. Again, worked great for awhile then the same behavior returned. Time and search results went haywire.
I would reset the time, use the auto time, use the manual time, would work for awhile and then go bonkers again.
Once search results went to Korean nothing I could do would change it back. I checked and double checked all settings and they all showed correct, eastern US.
So I did a restore again and again worked fine for awhile then the same behavior.
Don't know if I just got a bad system or what but right now I'm going to try Joli OS and see if it works better.

Aside from that why someone would think that scrolling with one finger on the right side of the pad is a better option than 2 finger scrolling I'll never know. The keyboard and pad are really close to countering the lightness and speed. They are both bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Website Translator Gadget